Here’s a (growing) list of events celebrating Gene Kelly’s centenary (August 23, 2012) and beyond. If we’ve missed anything, please let us know.
- May 15: Watch Singin’ in the Rain with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Chicago, IL.
- March 8-9: Singin’ in the Rain – Live in Concert, Royal Albert Hall, London
- October 25: University of Pittsburgh celebrates Gene Kelly’s centenary and its 225th anniversary [Review of event from audience member.]
- September 19: Friday Night is Music Night: Gene Kelly-Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance (London, BBC Radio 2)
- August: Gene Kelly festival at the Iowa City Public Library
- August 4–September 9: The Belcourt Theater (Nashville, TN). All seven films will be screened from archival 35mm prints.
- August 7, 14, 21, and 28: Gene Kelly Film Series (Coopersville, MI).
- August 15-17: “Hit Me with Your Best Shot: Singin’ in the Rain Edition” at The Film Experience (blogathon).
- August 20–25: Gene Kelly Centennial Blogathon (accepting posts from Classic Movie Blog Association participants only)
- August 23: “Gene Kelly Day” on TCM’s Summer under the Stars (begins at 6am EST)
- August 23: University of Pittsburgh shatters world record as it honors Gene Kelly with umbrella dance
- July 4: “A Capitol Fourth” on PBS (8pm EST): musical tribute
- July 12: Singin’ in the Rain in theaters nationwide, U.S.
- July 13: An American in Paris (Boston, MA), presented by the Boston Harbor Hotel. (Thanks for the heads-up, @dancekellystyle!)
- July 13: Singin in the Rain at the Smithsonian’s new movie palace (Washington DC). (Thanks for the tweet, @vengrouskie!)
- July 13–26: Film Society of Lincoln Center’s 23-Film Salute (NYC)
- July 23–end of August (UK): Gene Kelly floral display in Blackpool Winter Gardens’ Floral Hall
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.